Tel.: (49) 04371 / 866-0 Fax: (49) 04371 / 866-166
E-Mail: Hotel-Dania@t-online.de www.Hotel-Dania.de
   
   
  Bird-Route      
  With the opening of the Fehmarn bridge on April 30, 1963, and the following extended construction of rail and road routes, the island of Fehmarn finally became their longed for independent connection with the Holstein mainland.  This was most apparent how important this was and is when in the winter of 1962/63 all traffic over the sound was grounded.  The building of the bridge over the 1350 meter wide Fehmarn sound has gone down as an important event in the history of Ostholstein transport undertaking.     
    Until this point the island was set apart from the main traffic.  With the opening of the `Bird Route`it became apparent of the importance of this pier-head for the northern countries.  On April 30, 1963 the railroad and sound ferry connection was closed down.  This reliable form of transportation, including the ferries `Fehmarn`and `Schleswig-Holstein`and the steamboot `Fehmarnsund`, had served the islanders and visitors as well as agricultrual and commercial production and live stock transport for over 60 years.   
  More than 300,000 tons of building supplies and machinery had to be brought to the island for the building of the bridge.  The Fehmarn bridge is the main part of the `Bird Route` which, with its variety of rail stations, harbor facilities, bridge construction and new road and rail routes, belongs to the biggest post-war building project between Germany and Denmark.       
      The German railway project had at that time the following gigantic plans:An 18 km long single-railed main train between Grossenbrode-Puttgarden including reconstruction of the rail stations Grossenbrode and Burg, the 963 meter long overhead rail and highway bridge covering the 330 meter Fehmarn sound and the bridge platform which raged 110 meters over the shoreline, the ferry station Puttgarden with over 22 km of rails and 145 movable rails,and the ferry harbor Puttgarden.   
  The federal road 207 that had ended in Grossenbroden ferry station was rebuilt from Heilighafen over the sound to Puttgarden.  The traffic situation in the district of Oldenburg improved during this time due to the building of a by-pass.  The single-railed main train was lengthened 18 km.  Overhead the island, rail and highway roads ran next to each other.  From the ferry station Puttgarden extended a 19 km long route throught the Fehmarn canal to Roedby, the ferry station on the Danish island Lolland.    
      The 1350 meter wide Fehmarn sound is crossed with rail and highway from the 963 meter long Fehmarn bridge.  The 23 meter high ramps rage 330 meters out from the mainland and 110 meters from the island over the shoreline to the open waters.  For the 3 year long construction time of the bridge and ramps 50 Mio. DM was needed.  The actual cost of the building of the `Bird Route`on the German side amounted to 210 Mio. DM  The Danish side spent 80 Mio. DM.